Thomas Schär has been practising as a lawyer since 2002. He is registered with the Zürich Bar Register and admitted to practice throughout Switzerland. Before establishing the law firm HERZOG SCHÄR AG in 2017, Thomas Schär worked at a boutique law firm for copyright, media and commercial law and subsequently for over nine years at a major law firm in Zürich.
Thomas Schär advises private clients as well as nationally or internationally operating companies on all aspects of contract law and intellectual property law with a particular focus on copyright law. Thomas Schär represented for instance international top-ranking athletes and their business companies in contract law matters, such as licensing/sponsoring, protection and exploration of personality rights as well as employment law. Another of his key areas of expertise is insolvency and restructuring. As an experienced litigator, Thomas Schär also represents clients in court proceedings.
- Since 09/2017 Attorney at Law with HERZOG SCHÄR AG
- 2008-2017 Attorney at Law at Wenger Plattner
- 2002-2008 Attorney at Law at boutique law firm for copyright, media and commercial law
- 1998-2002 District Court of Zurich (Single Judge Court Audienz), Law Clerk
- 2006 LL.M., King's College London, UK
- 2002 Admission to the Zurich Bar
- 1998 Lic. iur., University of Zurich
- The Intellectual Property Review, Chapter for Switzerland,
Thomas Schär / Martina Braun / Brigitte Bieler / Nicolas Gut, Sixth Edition, London 2017
- Restructuring and Insolvency, Country Q & A Switzerland
In: Practical Law, Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2012/13
"Top Law Firm 2018" (by Bilanz/Le Temps/Statista)
Dr. iur., LL.M., Attorney at Law
Certified Specialist SBA Inheritance Law
Sabine Herzog has been a practicing lawyer in Switzerland since 2005 and obtained a doctoral degree from the University of Lucerne. After holding positions as a court clerk at the District Court of Horgen and the Commercial Court of the Canton of Zurich, Sabine worked nine years as an attorney at an international law firm in Zurich. In September 2017, Sabine Herzog started her private practice at HERZOG SCHÄR AG.
Sabine focuses on general Contract Law, Company Law as well as on Inheritance and Matrimonial Property Law. Her experience includes a variety of matters in both the advisory and litigation areas. As an example, Sabine Herzog represented a company with operations around the world in a complex cross-border litigation regarding unfair competition or a shareholder in various corporate law disputes. Sabine Herzog is a Certified Specialist SBA Inheritance Law. She regularly counsels clients in estate planning matters, the winding up of national and international estates and represents clients in estate disputes. Sabine also carries out mandates relating the protection of adults and of minors in inheritance law matters.
- Since 09/2017 Attorney at Law at HERZOG SCHÄR AG
- 2008-2017 Attorney at Law at Baker McKenzie Zurich
- 2007/2008 Law Clerk at the Commercial Court of the Canton of Zurich
- 2005/2006 Associate at a small boutique law firm in Zurich
- 2002-2005 Law Clerk at the District Court of Horgen
- 2017 Certified Specialist SBA Inheritance Law
- 2015 PhD (Dr. iur.), University of Lucerne, Switzerland
- 2012 LL.M., Columbia University, New York, USA
- 2005 Admission to the Zurich Bar (valid throughout Switzerland)
- 2001 Master’s Degree (Lic. iur.), University of Zurich, Switzerland
- 1998 Bachelor Degree (licence en Droit), Université Paris X-Nanterre, Paris, France
- Sabine Herzog, Tücken rund um die Ausschlagungsvermutung von Art. 566 Abs. 2 ZGB, AJP 5/2018, 555 ff.
- Sabine Herzog/Petra Hanselmann, Familieninterne Unternehmensnachfolge – gesellschaftsrechtliche Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten, in: Jürg Schmid (Hrsg.), Gesellschaftsrecht und Notar, Beiträge der Weiterbildungsseminare der Stiftung Schweizerisches Notariat vom 1. September 2015 in Zurich und vom 8. September 2015 in Lausanne, Zurich 2016, 287 ff.
- Sabine Herzog, Trusts und schweizerisches Erbrecht, Einschränkungen bei der Anerkennung von Trusts aus der Perspektive des schweizerischen Erbrechts – unter besonderer Berücksichtigung von Pflichtteilen und deren prozessualer Durchsetzung, Luzerner Beiträge zur Rechtswissenschaft, Band 106, Zurich/Basel/Genf, 2016.
- Sabine Herzog/Marin Michaels/Jacopo Crivellaro, The EU Succession Regulation and its impact for non-Member States and non-Member State nationals, Trust & Trustees, Vol. 22, No. 2, March 2016, p. 227 ff.
- Sabine Herzog/Jacopo Crivellaro/Basil Kirby, A rough Guide to the EU Succession Regulation, STEP Journal, February 2016, S. 69 ff.
- Commentary of the Articles 285 to Article 294 of the Swiss Civil Procedure Act, in: Baker & McKenzie Zurich (Hrsg.), Schweizerische Zivilprozessordnung (ZPO), Bern 2010.
- Disclaimer of Inheritance: selected aspects, St. Galler Erbrechtstag 2018, 6 June 2018
- Judicial enforcement of the compulsory portion vis a vis trusts from a of Swiss inheritance law point of view (Prozessuale Durchsetzung von Pflichtteilsansprüchen gegenüber Trusts aus Sicht des schweizerischen Erbrechts), St. Galler Erbrechtstag 2016, 29 June 2016
- Corporate succession within the family – planning options from a corporate law perspective (Familieninterne Unternehmensnachfolge – gesellschaftsrechtliche Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten), advanced training course of the foundation «Stiftung Schweizerisches Notariat» of September 1, 2015
- Presentations across Switzerland for clients of a real estate broker on basic principles of inheritance law and planning options, 2016/2017
"Top Law Firm 2018" (by Bilanz/Le Temps/Statista)
Expertise / Services
We combine extensive professional experience, specialisation and an efficient national and international network in a small structure.
Our legal services in the following areas of law are offered to private individuals and companies.
- General Contract Law, such as Purchase Agreements, Deeds of Gift, Loan Agreements
- Industrial Contract Law, for example Cooperation Agreements, Contract Manufacturing Agreements, Distribution Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- Tenancy and Leasing Agreements
- Service Agreements
- Collateral and Assignment Agreements
- Contracts of Association
- Copyright, Trademarks and Design Law
- Licensing Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Sponsoring, Management- and Coaching Agreements
- Protection and Exploration of the Rights of Personality
- Litigation in the area of Intellectual Property Law
- Estate planning and winding-up of national and international estates
- Wills and Inheritance Contracts
- Division of the estate
- Estate Administration, Representation of heirs, Executorships
- Liquidation of the estate
- National and international estate proceedings
- Legal advice relating trusts
- Intellectual Property Rights in estates
- Art in estates
- Matrimonial Property Law planning
- Matrimonial Agreements
- Inheritance Advances and Gifts
- Cohabitation Agreements
- Registered Partnership Property Agreements
- Advance Care Directive
- Patient Decree
- Power of Attorney
- Representation of persons under guardianship in Inheritance Law cases
- Advice of entrepreneurs and of their successors
- Formation, acquisition and sale of companies
- Shareholder Agreements
- Advice and representation of companies, individuals and public authorities in national and international litigation, arbitration and administrative proceedings
- Enforcement of foreign awards in Switzerland
- International Legal Assistance
- Interim Legal Protection
- Litigation Risk Assessment
- Negotiation and guidance in cases of imminent escalation of a dispute
- Contract and corporate matters
- Formation, structuring, organisation, administration and liquidation of companies
- We offer comprehensive services for your legal matters. Because we are committed to quality and not legal experts in all legal areas, we cooperate with external specialised lawyers whom we choose diligently and in view of the required expertise.
About Herzog Schär
High quality standards are a matter of course.
We combine extensive professional experience, specialisation and an efficient national and international network in a small structure. As a result, the needs of our clients can be served diligently and demand-oriented.
High quality standards are a matter of course. We handle your legal matters personally and offer tailor-made solutions for demanding needs.
We function as a team because quality and comprehensive solutions matter to us. If needed, we cooperate with external specialised lawyers whom we choose diligently and in view of the required expertise. We approach our tasks with integrity, creativity and care.
Legal counselling is also offered in cross-border matters and in German, English, French and Spanish language.
HERZOG SCHÄR AG
Attorneys at Law
P +41 (043) 268 30 10